Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture


Good Morning Trinity Tribe,

I have been thinking about Nature vs. Nurture today. Which is it? Which influence has the greatest effect upon us? Is it our nature…our DNA…what is down deep inside? Or does what happens to us in the world affect us more? As a person adopted into a family as an infant, I have my own opinions about the matter. I would love to hear what you have to say on the topic!

In Ephesians 1, Paul writes this about how we are adopted by God:
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he[b] predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9he[d] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.

So, are we more like the sinful nature of our DNA? Or do we try hard to emulate our heavenly father, God, and our brother, Jesus? How hard is that for us?

The Trinity Tribe needs your input! Please go to the following link and let us hear your voice! We need a new web address! We need ideas for our Trinity Tribe Trips! We need some ideas for activities for young and old! Be counted! Let us know what you think! Feel free to pass the link around to others that are not on this list!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DX25FDG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the moment and the matter and whether you have the time and will to respond thoughtfully or just emotionally. It seems to me that when I respond emotionally that I'm usually talking from my DNA [not always a good thing for a thick headed kraut] and that when I respond thoughtfully I have time to reflect on what I've learned from Christian friends and other worthwhile influences and modify my response appropriately. So, there you have it; yes and no, unequivocally!